If you’ve been in a car accident, you have the right to pursue compensation. Accidents are expensive and can have lasting consequences on your health and quality of life. With the help of our car accident attorneys in Ladson, you have a better chance of getting full compensation.
The Thumbs Up Guys at MDSW Legal have been helping people in South Carolina ever since they left law school. We’ve helped our clients get millions of dollars over your years of service. See our previous results to learn more about our past accident case accomplishments.
First Steps After a Car Accident
There are several things you can do right after a car accident to raise your chances of a fair settlement. It’s helpful to know these beforehand so that you’ll know what to do.
- Fulfill legal obligations first. Stay at the scene and contact the police to make a report. Trade contact information and insurance information with the other driver. If they took you to the hospital, the police may have this information.
- If the police weren’t involved and the wreck caused an injury or more than $1000 of damage, fill out a Traffic Collision Report and send it to the DMV within 15 days of the accident.
- If it’s possible, gather contact information from any witnesses and get a brief statement of their impressions. You can use the recording function on your phone to gather statements, though you may want to write contact numbers.
- Also, take photographs of the accident scene, damage on your vehicle, and any injuries you’ve sustained. Photos of the immediate aftermath are quite useful for proving damage claims.
- Finally, see a doctor as soon as possible, even if you feel fine. Many accident injuries don’t appear until days after an accident because of shock or adrenaline. A checkup will expose these, prove you cared about your health, and get a doctor’s diagnosis of your injuries.
Why Would the Insurance Company Deny My Claim?
Everyone is required to carry auto insurance in South Carolina, but the insurance companies are in the industry for profit. It’s in their best interests to pay out as little as possible. That’s where car accident lawyers earn their keep. They can negotiate and, if necessary, take them to trial.
Yes, insurance companies have to do their due diligence. Insurance fraud is something they need to watch for, but the vast majority of accident claims aren’t fraudulent. Our accident attorneys will have advice for you on how to avoid the perception of a fraudulent claim.
They may also try to say you were the one responsible for the accident. If you are over 50% responsible for an accident in South Carolina, you cannot collect compensation. This is part of our modified comparative negligence laws.
The Insurance Company Contacted Me. What Next?
It’s better if you have a lawyer on your side before the insurance company contacts you. That way, they can handle all the communication. If the insurance company contacts you, know that they’re not on your side. Follow these guidelines, then call a car accident lawyer in Ladson immediately:
- Never sign or agree to anything resembling a legal statement.
- Give them the bare and true facts of the case, including how you feel. Don’t sugarcoat or exaggerate your injuries.
- Tell them you’re seeking representation and they can get more information through your lawyer. Ask the adjuster for their contact information to pass on to whoever you hire.
Don’t be misled by generous initial offers or kind words. Even saying, “I’m fine,” after “How are you?” can be construed that your injuries aren’t as bad as you claim. Remember, they’re looking for evidence to use against your claim.
How Much Am I Likely to Receive After a Car Accident?
When you sit with a consultation with a car accident lawyer, we will make an estimate of your case based on prior case history and the evidence we have. However, getting the exact amount is impossible until we have all the facts.
Every car accident case has its quirks and variations. Everything from the value of your vehicle to your emotional response to your injuries can change the total compensation value. We will use our experience to calculate a fair settlement amount, then fight for it based on our investigation.
Personal injury lawyers are paid only if you win, so it is in our best interests to fight for the most compensation we can under the circumstances. We’re not satisfied until you are satisfied or we have to take the case to trial where the court will decide.
Get Your Accident Compensation With MDSW Legal
Don’t let the insurance company give you less than you deserve. Speak with our experienced car accident attorneys in Ladson by calling our offices or contacting us online. Miller, Dawson, Sigal & Ward are ready to hear your story. Your consultation is free and without obligation.