Car accidents are common occurrences on the roads of Columbia and can result in physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial burdens. The aftermath of a collision can be devastating, especially if you are severely injured. A Columbia car accident lawyer from MDSW Legal is here to help.
If someone else’s negligence caused your accident, our Columbia personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, negotiate with insurance companies, and fight for financial compensation. Don’t let an insurance company take advantage of you!
Contact us now for a free case evaluation.
Common Injuries Caused By Motor Vehicle Collisions
Car accidents can lead to a wide range of injuries, and their severity can vary depending on the collision’s impact, speed, and other factors.
Common car accident injuries include:
- Whiplash: This injury happens when the head and neck are suddenly jerked forward and backward in a collision. This unnatural movement strains the neck’s muscles and ligaments, leading to pain, stiffness, and limited mobility.
- Broken bones: The force of impact in a crash can result in fractures and breaks, especially to the arms, legs, ribs, or collarbone. Breaks and fractures often require immediate medical attention and may necessitate surgical intervention.
- Head injuries: Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can occur when the head hits a hard surface or experiences a sudden jolt. TBIs can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage with long-lasting consequences.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: Car accidents can cause damage to the spine, leading to varying degrees of paralysis or loss of sensation. Spinal cord injuries can be life-altering, requiring extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Internal injuries: The force of a collision can damage organs, leading to internal bleeding or organ failure. These injuries are not always immediately apparent, making a prompt medical evaluation crucial.
- Cuts and lacerations: Broken glass, loose objects, or sharp debris inside the vehicle can cause cuts and lacerations. These injuries can vary in severity, with some requiring stitches or surgery.
- Burns: In some accidents, vehicles catch fire or explode, leading to burn injuries. Burns can range from first-degree (minor) to third-degree (severe), requiring specialized medical care.
- Amputations: In severe accidents, a limb amputation may be necessary due to the extent of injuries sustained during the collision. Amputees typically require prosthetic limbs and extensive rehabilitation.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissues, including muscles, tendons, and ligaments, can be sprained or strained in a car accident. These injuries can result in pain, swelling, and restricted movement.
It’s important to seek immediate medical attention after a motor vehicle accident, even if your injuries seem minor.
Compensation After a Car Accident in Columbia
Recovering from a crash can be physically, emotionally, and financially taxing. When dealing with medical bills, lost income, and the emotional toll of an accident, understanding your options for compensation is essential.
Here’s a look at the various forms of compensation you may be eligible for after a car accident in Columbia:
- Medical expenses: Car accidents often result in injuries that require immediate medical attention. Compensation should cover all medical costs, including ambulance fees, hospitalization, surgeries, doctor’s visits, medications, and rehabilitation. It should also account for any future medical expenses related to your injuries.
- Lost wages: If your injuries prevent you from working, you may be eligible for compensation for lost income. This includes the wages you’ve already missed out on and any future earnings you will lose due to your injuries.
- Property damage: Compensation should cover repairing or replacing your vehicle and any personal items damaged in the accident.
- Pain and suffering: Car accidents can result in physical pain and emotional trauma. Compensation for pain and suffering aims to provide financial relief for any discomfort or distress you endured due to the accident.
- Loss of consortium: If your injuries affect your relationship with your spouse, you may be entitled to damages for the loss of companionship or affection you once shared.
- Wrongful death: If a loved one tragically passed away due to a crash, you may be entitled to wrongful death compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, lost future earnings, and the emotional pain you experience.
- Punitive damages: The court may award these additional damages if the at-fault party’s actions were particularly reckless or egregious. These damages are intended to punish the defendant and deter similar behavior in the future.
Every case is unique, and the available compensation will depend on the circumstances of the accident and the extent of your injuries and losses. Seeking the assistance of an experienced car accident lawyer in Columbia is crucial to protecting your rights and maximizing your compensation.
The Thumbs Up Guys at MDSW Legal handle cases on a contingency-fee basis, so you won’t pay anything upfront or out-of-pocket.
Time Limit for Taking Action Against the At-Fault Driver or Other Liable Party
In South Carolina, the statute of limitations for car accident claims is generally three years from the incident date. However, it’s important to note that certain exceptions may apply, potentially altering the time limit.
Failing to initiate legal proceedings before the applicable deadline can have severe repercussions, as the court may dismiss your claim, barring you from pursuing compensation. Taking early action will help safeguard your rights and strengthen your case.
Conversely, waiting too long can make gathering critical evidence, such as accident reports, medical records, and witness statements, more challenging.
Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer in Columbia, SC
If you’ve been affected by a car accident in Columbia, SC, you don’t have to face this situation alone. Hiring an experienced Columbia car accident lawyer can make all the difference in securing a fair settlement or court award.
The Thumbs Up Guys are here to provide legal guidance, advocate for your rights, and help you navigate the path to physical and financial recovery. Don’t delay; we are available now to discuss your case and explore your legal options.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.