Unfortunately, car accidents are not rare in the Charleston area. They happen every day. And every day, innocent drivers are injured. Those injuries mean expensive hospital bills and weeks out of work, not to mention the pain and suffering that accompanies broken bones and whiplash.
If someone else caused your accident, you shouldn’t have to pay for their mistake. A car accident lawyer in West Ashley from the Thumbs Up Guys can help you recover compensation and get back on your feet. Find out what a personal injury claim could mean for you.
What to Do if You’re Injured in a Car Accident
After any accident—especially a car accident—your safety and health should always be your number one priority. That means before you do anything regarding insurance or lawyers, you should get to a safe place and call an ambulance. Even if your injuries seem minor, they can be more serious than you realize and could cause even more severe problems if left untreated.
Once you’ve taken all the necessary steps to make sure you’re okay, you can do some things at the scene of the accident and in the following days to help your chances of a successful claim. If you’re injured in a car accident, you should:
- Call the police. You will need an official accident report for your claim, and the only way to get one is to get the police involved.
- Don’t refuse any medical treatment. Not only is it important to get your injuries treated, but if you refuse treatment, the other party’s insurance company may try to use that to show that you don’t deserve compensation.
- Get the other driver’s information. Write down the other driver’s name, contact information, license plate number, and insurance information. Try not to be confrontational, though–if you’re aggressive, that could be used against you.
- Talk to witnesses. If anyone else saw what happened, talk to them and get their contact information too. Just be careful to not admit any level of guilt in your accident, as the other party and their insurance company could use that to reduce your settlement.
- Take pictures and videos. Document any damage done to your vehicle and to you and take pictures of the scene of the accident.
- Don’t sign anything before you talk to an attorney. The insurance company may try to get you to sign off on a settlement quickly. There’s a good chance that the initial settlement they offer will be less than you actually deserve. An attorney will be able to make sure that you aren’t getting taken advantage of.
- Get a free initial consultation with a West Ashley car accident attorney. Hiring an experienced lawyer means having an investigator and negotiator by your side. You can talk to an attorney for free about your situation and get their opinion.
Common Injuries After a Car Accident
Anything can happen in a car accident, and a crash can result in any number of injuries. However, there are certain injuries that car accidents experience more often than others. Common injuries in a car accident include:
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
Even if you feel fine, you should still get your injuries treated. Some injuries, like internal bleeding, can be hard to notice without going to the hospital but could be catastrophic if not treated soon. Plus, if you don’t act quickly, some people may doubt that your injuries are actually serious.
These injuries aren’t just painful. They’re expensive, too—especially when they mean missing weeks or months of work to recover. If someone else caused your accident, they could be liable for your damages—both the financial losses you’ve suffered and the pain you’ve been through. An attorney can help hold them accountable.
How to Get Compensation for a Car Accident
Some people think that the only way to get compensation for a car accident is through expensive and lengthy lawsuits. That isn’t true in most cases. Instead, with a skilled lawyer, you can negotiate a settlement with the other driver’s insurance company and avoid suing them altogether.
To get that compensation, your car accident lawyer will have to gather evidence that shows not only how the other party caused your accident, but also why you deserve compensation for your damages. They will gather documents, photos, and testimony from s and witnesses to get you the best possible car accident settlement.
What if the Other Driver’s Insurance Doesn’t Cover My Damages?
Every driver in West Ashley and throughout the state is required to have a certain level of liability coverage, according to the South Carolina Code of Laws § 38-77-10. However, people don’t always follow the law, and some people drive uninsured. Even if someone is insured, their plan may not cover all your damages.
You still have options if the other party does not have insurance, but it may be more difficult to get compensation. You may already have uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. Even if you don’t you can pursue compensation from the other party with the help of a car accident lawyer in West Ashley.
Talk to a Car Accident Attorney in West Ashley for Free
Your injuries and other damages can set you back thousands of dollars, and if you have to miss work and lose out on wages, it can be financially devastating. Filing a personal injury claim could be the step that helps you avoid severe consequences.
The West Ashley car accident lawyers at Miller, Dawson, Sigal & Ward want to help. Call us or contact us online today for your FREE initial consultation. One of our attorneys will assess your case and tell you what your options are for compensation.