Unfortunately, car accidents are not rare in the Charleston area. They happen every day. And every day, innocent drivers are injured. Accident victims are forced to deal with expensive hospital bills and weeks of missed work, not to mention the physical pain that often accompanies collision injuries.
If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by another party, you shouldn’t have to pay for their mistake. A West Ashley car accident lawyer from Miller, Dawson, Sigal & Ward Injury Attorneys can help you recover compensation and help you get back on your feet. Contact our team to schedule a free consultation and find out how the Thumbs Up Guys can help you.
How to Get Compensation After a Car Accident
Some people think the only way to get compensation for a car accident is through an expensive and lengthy lawsuit. However, that’s not always true. In many cases, a skilled lawyer can negotiate a settlement with the other driver’s insurance company and avoid suing them altogether.
To get the compensation you’re owed, a car accident lawyer in West Ashley must gather evidence showing how the other party caused your accident and why you deserve compensation. They’ll gather documents, photos, and witness testimonies to get you the best possible car accident settlement.
Damages You Could Recover With Our Help
In addition to collecting evidence and negotiating a settlement, a West Ashley car accident attorney can also determine your eligible damages. They’ll meet with you to discuss your losses and review your medical bills to determine which damages you’re entitled to.
If your claim is successful, you could get a number of different damages, including:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical costs
- Vehicle repair costs
- Lost wages
- Decreased earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
These damages can help you pay your bills and rebuild your life after a serious collision. Reach out to a skilled attorney from our firm today to find out which forms of compensation you could receive from an insurance claim.
What If the Other Driver’s Insurance doesn’t Cover My Damages?
According to the South Carolina Code of Laws § 38-77-10, every driver in West Ashley and throughout the state of South Carolina is required to have a certain level of liability coverage. However, people don’t always follow the law, and some drive without the proper insurance. Even if someone is insured, their plan may not cover all your damages.
Fortunately, you still have options if the other party does not have ample insurance, but it may be more difficult to get compensation. If you have an uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) policy, you can pursue damages from your own policy.
If you don’t have a UM or UIM policy, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. An attorney can construct your lawsuit, file your suit, and represent you in court.
Common Injuries After a Car Accident
Car crashes can result in a number of different injuries. However, there are certain injuries that car accident victims experience more often than others. Common injuries in a car accident include:
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
Even if you feel fine, you should still get your injuries treated. Some catastrophic and potentially life-threatening injuries, like internal bleeding, can go unnoticed if you don’t go to the hospital. Plus, if you don’t act quickly, insurance adjusters may doubt that your injuries are actually serious.
These injuries aren’t just painful. They can also be incredibly expensive, especially when they mean missing weeks or months of work to recover. If someone else caused your accident, you should contact an attorney ASAP. They’ll know how to get the money you need to afford medical treatment and support yourself while you stay home from work to recover.
What to Do if You’re Injured in a Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a collision, your safety and health should be your number one priority. Before you do anything regarding insurance or lawyers, you should get to a safe place and call an ambulance. Even if your injuries seem minor, they can be more serious than you realize and could cause complications if left untreated.
Once you’ve taken all the necessary steps to make sure you’re okay, there are a few things you can do at the scene of the accident and in the following days to help your chances of receiving a fair settlement or jury verdict. Make sure to take the following steps:
- Call the police: You will need an official accident report for your claim, and the only way to get one is to get the police involved.
- Don’t refuse medical treatment: Not only is it important for your health to get your injuries treated, but if you refuse treatment, the other party’s insurance company may try to use it to show that you don’t deserve compensation.
- Get the other driver’s information: Write down the other driver’s name, contact information, license plate number, and insurance information. Try not to be confrontational, as aggressive behavior could be used against you when it’s time to pursue compensation.
- Talk to witnesses: If anyone else saw what happened, talk to them and get their contact information. Be careful not to admit any level of guilt in your accident, as the other party and their insurance company could use that to reduce your settlement.
- Take pictures and videos: Document your injuries and any damage done to your vehicle. It can also be helpful to take pictures of the overall scene of the accident.
- Don’t sign anything before you talk to an attorney: The insurance company may try to get you to sign off on a settlement quickly. There’s a good chance that their initial settlement offer will be less than you actually deserve. An attorney will be able to ensure you aren’t being taken advantage of.
- Get a free initial consultation with an attorney: Hiring an experienced car accident attorney from West Ashley can help you get the justice and damages you need to move forward with your life. Contact us today to talk to a knowledgeable lawyer for free.
Your Time to File a Lawsuit Is Running Out
Once you’ve completed all the steps on our post-accident checklist, it’s important that you contact an attorney ASAP. That’s because there’s a statute of limitations for car accident cases in West Ashley. Under S.C. Ann §15-3-530, you have three years from the date of your crash to submit a personal injury lawsuit.
While not all accident victims have to file a suit to get compensated, it’s always crucial to plan for the worst-case scenario. That means hiring an attorney immediately and getting started on your case as fast as you can. Doing so will give your West Ashley car accident attorney the time they need to file a suit if your case requires one.
Talk to a Car Accident Attorney in West Ashley for Free
Medical bills, lost wages, and vehicle repair can set you back thousands of dollars. You’ll have to file a personal injury claim to get the money you need to replace your losses and pay your bills. Filing a claim can be incredibly complicated, but with a skilled attorney on your side, you won’t have to worry about the ins and outs of the legal process.
Contact Miller, Dawson, Sigal & Ward Injury Attorneys to get the legal help required to file a successful claim or lawsuit. We’ll schedule you a free consultation with a West Ashley car accident lawyer from our firm. They’ll meet with you to discuss your accident and determine if we can take you on as a client. We look forward to hearing from you soon!