Did you know that business and property owners have an obligated duty to provide and maintain a safe environment for patrons, employees, and guests? Regardless of if you are at a person’s home or in a public place, if you fall and are injured, you may qualify for compensation.
The North Charleston slip and fall lawyers of MDSW Legal can assist in getting you a settlement that covers all of your slip and fall accident-related expenses, including medical bills, emotional distress, and lost wages.
If you have questions regarding how much your slip and fall accident is worth, or how long a slip and fall claim takes to resolve, our office provides a free initial consultation with no obligation to you. If you are considering defending yourself, keep reading to learn what’s needed to solidify your claims and important deadlines for your case.
Common Reasons for Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen at any time and in any place. Often, a hazard on someone else’s property is discovered when they least anticipate it. The following are some of the most common reasons for slip and fall accidents found around North Charleston:
- Potholed sidewalks
- Uneven paving
- Liquid on floors
- Faulty stairwells
- Dimly lighted places
- Handrails that are broken, loose, or missing
- A ripped carpet or a damaged tile
You may be eligible to cash compensation for your injuries regardless of what caused your slip and fall. However, a landowner’s duty to you as a guest is largely determined by the reason you were on the owner’s property.
Recoverable Expenses of a Slip and Fall Accident
From the first consultation with one of our slip and fall lawyers in North Charleston, your settlement worth for your slip and fall accident is calculated to determine which expenses are recoverable.
While no settlement package is guaranteed to be of a set amount, traditionally, the following damages are requested for compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company:
- Fees for a doctor’s evaluation of your injuries
- Diagnostic tests, such as ultrasound, X-rays, and scans
- Medication, both prescription and over-the-counter
- Therapy or rehabilitation services
- Inpatient and surgical hospital bills
- Treatment-related travel expenses
- Emergency Room treatment and ambulance services
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
If you speak to the insurance company before obtaining or consulting with an attorney, they will not disclose the value of your settlement’s worth or go into depth about the expenses that you incur as a result of slipping and falling being owed to you. Their job is to minimize the damage and pay quickly so that you do not contest the amount.
Actionable Steps to Solidify Your Slip and Fall Claim
Even before you contact a slip and fall lawyer, there are steps you can take following your fall to strengthen the validity of your claim:
- Examine your surroundings to determine what caused you to slip and fall. Food on the floor, spilt condiments, ice on the floor at the soda fountain, trays in the walkway near trash cans, or uneven pavement in the parking lot are all possibilities.
- Take photographs of the location where you fell, including any obvious hazards.
- Request a copy of any video footage from security cameras that may have captured the incident.
- Inquire with anyone there if they witnessed you fall. Make a note of their observations and get their names and contact information so that you or your attorney can contact them later if required.
- Make a formal incident report with the owner and obtain a copy for your keeping.
- As soon as possible after falling, go to a hospital or doctor’s office to get your injuries documented and treated. You should also photograph any obvious injuries.
Deadlines for Your Personal Injury Slip and Fall Case
Injury victims are prohibited from submitting a claim past a certain amount of time. South Carolina’s statute of limitations for any personal injury is three years. Because of this, it is essential that accident victims contact our North Charleston slip and fall law team as soon as possible to ensure that they do not forfeit their legal rights.
Considering Hiring Us as Your Slip and Fall Lawyers?
There are several reasons to seek legal guidance after being hurt. MDSW Legal has slip and fall accident attorneys in North Charleston available to assist you with your premises liability claim. The amount of time to settle the case may vary depending on injuries and the insurance company but as your legal advisor, we offer:
- Personal injury law expertise
- Litigation strategy to bargain with the insurance carriers for a larger settlement
- Knowledge of how to prevail in instances like yours involving slip and falls
- Preparation at every level of your case
To arrange a free consultation with a member of our team, get in touch with our South Carolina slip and fall lawyers right away. You deserve a lawyer who empathizes with your situation and will fight to win you the just compensation that you are due.